Saturday, October 24, 2015

If you can't say something nice...

Ok here we are one week left in October and all I've done is share how cute Reagan is and how much you all should be jealous that she is my kid not yours.  And of course that is true and I'm seriously the luckiest mom on earth to have given birth to the pure joy that is Reagan, but I haven't yet touched on anything controversial and it wouldn't be October if I didn't offend someone with my politically un-correct views, so here is a little bit for you.  I was at a wedding tonight...with my blue and yellow hair...and it struck me just how insane it is to be bent out of shape about peoples' word choice.  If I am standing there telling someone why my hair is blue and yellow because of Down syndrome awareness...am I really going to correct them if they don't use people first language? (If you don't know what I'm talking about, bless you, I will not tell you, you don't need to know!)  Seriously!  I am just happy that people want to talk to me about Down syndrome, and often, their positive experiences with (sorry haters) Down syndrome people.  I WILL NOT ever correct someone on their word choice when they are expressing to me something positive about my daughter and her peers.  And I will not teach my daughter to be offended if people choose the "wrong" word order.  I will teach all my children and anybody else who will listen...If you are saying something nice I don't care what words you use,  if you are being unkind I will rip you apart for being a cruel human being...oh yeah and these two old adages..."if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all" and "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me".  I grew up on those and I wish more people still did...the world would be a better place!

No comments: