Thursday, October 27, 2011

Made This Way

Theme Thursday 4 is upon my and it is the most difficult for me....what is one thing that you wish people would "get".  I've been thinking it over all day and having a hard time coming up with something.  The truth is that we have been so blessed to be surrounded by family and friends that are so loving and supportive that we haven't had any (that I can think of) negative reaction to her Down syndrome.  Everybody who knows her talks about how cute she is, or how well she is doing in therapy, or how smart she is with her signing, or what a beautiful smile she has.  Positivity all the way.  So there is nothing that I wish people would "get" about Reagan...what about Down syndrome.  Oh yes...come to think of it, I do wish there was something that people (in general) would "get" about Down syndrome.  Want to know what it is?  I wish that people would understand what Down syndrome actually IS!  You would be surprised how many people (and the medical community is NO exception) don't know what it is or how it manifests.  Now pretty much everybody close to us either knows or has asked because they want to know about Reagan, but people in general don't know.  I have actually had more than one person ask me if she still has it.  Down syndrome is not a disease.  There is not a cure because it is not an illness.  It is genetic.  The same as being a boy or girl is programmed genetically from conception.  And no God will not take it away if you pray.  If you were to take Down syndrome away from my daughter she would no longer be Reagan.  She would be a completely different person.  Her extra chromosome is in every cell in her entire body...every toe, every dimple, every hair on her head carries an extra chromosome and you can't take that away.  Nor would you want to.  She is fearfully and wonderfully made in God's image just like the rest of us.
P.S.  I am always open to questions...no stupid questions and I will never get offended!  Ask away :)

2 comments:

My Little Wonders said...

Great post ... I had not realized that so many people did not fully understand Ds until I started speaking to people outside my family and close friends.

Megan said...

Great Post!