Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Measure of Success

We have achieved milk.  From me to the bottle, and from the bottle to Reagan.  A good breast pump and lots of prayers later and we're off to a good start.
 Reagan nursed this morning and I weighed her before and after with the result that the scale claimed she took in 3 ounces in 15 minutes.  This is about what I thought she had been doing, but it is good to know that she was getting enough volume so now we will boost the calories.  For her 5:00 feeding I took a deep breath nursed her on one side and then attempted to pump.
 One ounce later I fortified it and took another deep breath and settled down to see what Reagan thought of the bottle.  She laughed at me :)  Baby girl wanted to know why Mama was giving her this wierd device.  However she did not object and emptied the bottle in just a few minutes.  So if that was our first shot I'm going to say that I think we can do this with a little practice.  It will be interesting to see how balancing nursing and bottle-feeding shakes out, but after seeing how quickly she emptied that bottle I for sure don't want to cut out the nursing completly for fear little miss decides there's an easier way.

 Things are moving in the cardiology department too and we should have answers by the end of the week.  Thank you dear friend for ensuring that she will get care by next week no matter what happens.



UPDATE:
Since I started writing this post we have gone through another feeding with mixed results.  Milk production: Good, up to two ounces now.  Bottle tolerance: Non-existent, Reagan is acting like I'm trying to force- feed her poison.  I promised her she could nurse all she wants through the night and we'll continue our trial and error in the morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's my baby girl! She knows what the good stuff is! I knew that had a mighty fine thinker, and now good judgement too ;). Don't worry, you will be able to override all that "baby knows best" she gives you.
Grammy